Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:53:42 -0400
From:      "N. J. Cash" <ncash@pei.eastlink.ca>
To:        "FreeBSD Security" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   telnet / ipfw question

I have telnet enabled on my system running 4.5-stable and have it hidden
behind very strick ipfw rules so that the only IP that has access to the box
on port 23 is my home static IP, everything else is denied by the firewall.
I'm well aware of the risks of having telnet open and how insecure it can be
so, i'm just looking for some input here if this sounds like a safe way to
have the daemon running on a system. Would there still be security risks
involved
that i'm not aware about running it this way?

Here's basically what's going on in ipfw for port 23.

ipfw add 1400 allow log tcp from x.x.myip.x.x to any 23
ipfw add 09000 deny log ip from any to any

Look safe ?