Date:      Mon, 08 Dec 1997 16:56:54 -0500
From:      "Patrick O'Malley" <pomalley@mil.ufl.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD/Ethernet/Dynamic IP

  I've been trying for many hours, unsuccessfully, to have my
installation of FreeBSD 2.2.5 get an IP address dynamically. It's
ethernet card -- an SMC WD8003 8-bit -- is recognized. The machine is on
an ethernet with some WinNT machines (not that that should make a big
difference).
  I assume that I need an IP address of some sort in the command line of
IFCONFIG. What that address should be is a mystery.
  During the initial boot-up, it reports that the network is unreachable
and the lights on the card show that it never transmits.
  Is there something I missed in the installation?
  Thanks.

  Patrick O'Malley
  Machine Intelligence Laboratory
  University of Florida