Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 13:11:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        kaleb@x.org (Kaleb S. KEITHLEY)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

> Yup, they could. It'd be a lot of work to go through every program and
> add it. I could be way off base (great U.S./American colloquillism) but
> my guess is that most programs probably don't need it unless you're also
> going to make them use message catalogs at the same time, adding even
> more work and probably compounding the issue of having a single boot
> floppy and or loading in 4Meg.
>
> As near as I can tell the SVR4 ls doesn't change its locale, yet still
> manages to do the right thing, probably because for most SVR4-en the C
> locale is full ISO8859-1. This leads me to believe that FreeBSD's ls
> probably doesn't need to change its locale either if the default chartype
> table is fully populated.

I greatly dislike the XPG3/XPG4 localization mechanisms, and have an
even greater hate of per application message catalogs rather than
shared message sets that are in fact system wide, with the occasional
supplemental set for app specific stuff (consider that there are 5 common
shells, mostly with common messages from the system error message list).

I agree that the C locale should be 8859-1; an 8 bit clean locale would
fix the majority of "problems" magically and without additional effort.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.