Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 1995 10:01:22 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: another 2.0.5 installation report

>with the advent of the slice code, i should even be able to share
>Linux' swap slice.

>A few quirks with the installation procedure however:

>o Sharing a foreign slice and assigning it as swap seems to be
>  impossible, even in wizard mode.

I think swap still has to go on a labeled slice, perhaps even on the 'b'
partition.  You probably wouldn't want to label the foreign partition
because the foreign swapper might overwrite the label.

Labeling of foreign partitions is supported at the driver level.  The
only things special about "386BSD" partitions is that the first one
becomes the compatibitity slice and a warning is printed for unlabeled
ones.

>o Using the existing swap slice by using two FreeBSD slices failed,
>  since the original layout was:

>  wd0s1: Linux root
>  wd0s2: Linux swap ==> first FreeBSD slice (wd0s2b for swap)
>  wd0s3: second FreeBSD slice (wd0s3a as /)

>  The installation program didn't complain, but it failed to create
>  the root file system since it's using the ``compat slice'' wd0a to
>  create the root (hence it tried to newfs /dev/rwd0s2a).

If Linux swapping doesn't clobber the label then you can probably get
this to work by first installing just a label on wd0s2 and then changing
the partition type back to non-386BSD so that wd0s2 doesn't become the
compatibility slice.

>o I decided to shuffle the slices around in wizard mode (with the idea

Anyway, this method will better when the bugs are fixed.

>o it should be possible (at least in wizard mode) to assign an
>  arbitrary region of the disk for swapping; in particular, the Linux
>  swap is identifiable (ID 0x81) and could be offered as a valid swap
>  slice in the first place :)

Linux swap is 0x82.  The partition type indicator is not very reliable.

Bruce