Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 21:39:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jan Koum  <jkb@best.com>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        John Preisler <john@helium.vapornet.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

	Well, yes and no.
Yes:
	FreeBSD installs dot.rhosts in /usr/share/skel where by default
new dot.files come from into user directories. Of course, most (some?)  of
people change the files in the directory or the default directory itself.

No:
	The file doesn't provide any security problems initially
since it has '#' at every line and therefor can't be used without
further modification.

Maybe:
	There should be no dot.rhosts at all -- that might decrease the
ammount of people using it and in return minimize headache to sys admins?
Than again, maybe not.

Almost positive:
	Sholdn't this threat be taken off line by now? From what I have
seen the break-in has not occured due to the critical and/or unknown bug
in the FreeBSD.