Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 21:47:22 -0300
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, ccf@master.ndi.net, gordont@bluemtn.net, jkh@osd.bsdi.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: technical comparison

Jason Andresen wrote:

> Results:
> ufs+softupdates is a little slower than ext2fs+wc for low numbers of
> files, but scales better.  I wish I had a Reiserfs partition to
> test with.

Ext2fs is a non-contender.

Note, though, that there is some very recent perfomance improvement on
very large directories known as dirpref (what changed, actually, was
dirpref's algorithm). This is NOT present on 4.3-RELEASE, though it
_might_ have since been committed to stable.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	wow regex humor... I'm a geek