Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/13350: make clean in bsd.obj.mk no longer properly removes *.core and others

The following reply was made to PR bin/13350; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To: bde@zeta.org.au, howardjp@wam.umd.edu
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:17:22 +1000

 >Ahh, I see.  In that event, here is a diff to correct the README, not that
 >it is that complicated, but anyway.
 >
 >*** bsd.README.orig	Tue Aug 24 13:57:51 1999
 >--- bsd.README	Tue Aug 24 13:58:43 1999
 >***************
 >*** 158,165 ****
 >  	all:
 >  		build the program and its manual page
 >  	clean:
 >! 		remove the program, any object files and the files a.out,
 >! 		Errs, errs, mklog, and ${PROG}.core.
 >  	cleandir:
 >  		remove all of the files removed by the target clean, as
 >  		well as .depend, tags, and any manual pages.
 >--- 158,164 ----
 >  	all:
 >  		build the program and its manual page
 >  	clean:
 >! 		remove the program and any object files.

 It removes a bit more than object files.  This is perhaps best described
 by saying that it removes all generated files except the ones handled by
 cleadir.

 The README is seriously incomplete.  cleandepend is missing here.

 >  	cleandir:
 >  		remove all of the files removed by the target clean, as
 >  		well as .depend, tags, and any manual pages.

 This is quite out of date too.  cleandir also removes the canonical object
 directory and any link to it, modulo some complications when there is an
 obj subdirectory.

 Bruce