Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2012 02:35:08 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        wblock@wonkity.com
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook mirroring section

----Security_Multipart(Mon_Jun_11_02_35_08_2012_025)--

Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote
  in <alpine.BSF.2.00.1206101011080.76685@wonkity.com>:

wb> On Sun, 10 Jun 2012, Hiroki Sato wrote:
wb> > The location of the backup header is recorded in the Backup LBA field
wb> > in the primary header, so everything will work fine as long as the
wb> > pre-boot programs support it and the primary header is not corrupted.
wb> > I do not think this situation is against standards conformance though
wb> > it is suboptimal.
wb>
wb> It would certainly make things a lot simpler.  gpart would need
wb> modification.

 No modification is needed.  gpart already supports it for a long
 time.

wb> > If we can teach GEOM to BIOS and/or UEFI it would be the best, but it
wb> > is not likely.
wb>
wb> > What I want to know is whether there are some practical difficulties
wb> > when we apply the whole-disk mirroring procedure for MBR to a
wb> > GPT-based system.  Overwrite of the last LBA should not happen if
wb> > FreeBSD is the only one system on the disk.  One common failure
wb> > scenario is when the primary header is corrupted.  If there are more,
wb> > I want to know it.
wb>
wb> I tried a whole-disk GPT mirror for a short time, and had no problems
wb> other than gptboot complaining about the corrupted secondary header.
wb> It was not an exhaustive test, though.

 Can you try 9-STABLE after Apr 26?  The warning should not appear.

-- Hiroki