Date:      Sat, 13 May 2023 07:37:14 +0900
From:      Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Subject:   Re: git: c16e08e5f324 - main - stand/efi: Retire i386 support

On Fri, 12 May 2023 07:05:37 -0700 (PDT)
"Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> > On Thu, 11 May 2023 23:08:30 +0200
> > Yuri <yuri@aetern.org> wrote:

> > > I just noticed that it was asked several times in the last few months
> > > trying to use FreeBSD on not-so-modern and rather exotic hardware; I
> > > don't think we really need that support, but I simply wasn't aware of
> > > efi32 status before this commit, hence I asked :)
> >
> > Just a FYI.
> >
> > A subscriber (not me) tried ASUS EeeBook X205TA (manufactured "2015-04")
> > through Mar.18, 2021 to Apr.13, 2021 without luck on freebsd-usrs-jp ML
> > (in Japanese, started from [1], [2] for April).
> >
> > Atom CPU Z3735F @1.33GHz, 2GB RAM
>
> That is a 4 core 64 bit CPU, it most likely has a 64bit efi
> implementation.

Exactly. I'd found the info while discussing with the reporter on
freebsd-uses-jp ML at Intel site.

Note that neither boot1.efi nor loader.efi shipped with FreeBSD i386
distribution couldn't boot kernel successfully (built but not working).
So I have no objection for discontinueing the support.

> > Shipped with "Windows 8.1 with Bing (32bit)" installed.
>
> Probably a good choice to use a 32 bit OS on a machine
> with only 2GB as there is no need for a 64 bit pointer.
> This pretty much applies to any machine with 4GB or
> less of memory

IIRC, I've read somewhere describing that ASUS EeeBook X205TA has 32bit
UEFI to boot 32bit Windoze, and supports 32bit UEFI boot only.
I've found folowing pages now, different pages I read ATM, though.

 https://github.com/filirnd/x205ta

 https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=380177

--
Tomoaki AOKI    <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>