Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:24:10 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM T30: more thermal problems

> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:14:38 +0200
> From: Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:05:49PM -0400, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> > > I have a T30 here and it was getting real hot and it cooled down in what
> > > seems like about 50% by elevating the laptop up by a 1/2" on all four
> > > corners.  The hot air exhaust cooled down in about 90 seconds.
>
> nice idea. it didn't help, however. my average build time before a sig 11
> or sig 4 coredump is still less than 5 minutes.
>
> > My A30p has the exhaust at the back left corner under the screen. When the
> > fan turns on the exhaust blows straight out the side (in the direction my
> > floppy drive is facing.)
>
> same with my T30. i still think the laptop lift idea was worth a try, cause
> the bottom of my T30 gets very hot sometimes (where the disk is located).
>
> more ideas or hints anyone?

What is the date of you kernel sources? (I mean on the installed
kernel, not the new one).

There was a problem earlier this year (between 5.0 and 5.1) that
generated sig 4s and 11s. I was sure that I had a hardware problem,
but saw some odd behavior in other places that made me suspicious.

I built new kernel for this system on another system (copied over my
config file and my make.conf) and loaded and booted that. Suddenly I
could make buildworld again!

FWIW, my T30 is currently showing hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature of
79 C. It is in the middle of a buildworld. Before I started it was
sitting at about 41 C. This seem no not cause any problems, although it
is pretty warm. It seems stable and is not going higher.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)