Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 19:18:30 -0500
From:      Tim <cyberlord@cyberlord.net.dhis.org>
To:        "Blair Wagner" <blair.wagner@cci-triad.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD new install

On Friday 12 July 2002 03:21 pm, Blair Wagner wrote:
> 2 questions with installing FreeBSD 4.6
>
> 1) my system has a 3Com EtherLink XL (3C905) NIC. The doc suggests this
> is supported and uses driver xl(4). However, I see no such options when
> selecting drivers in the installations kernel configuration screen. I
> can choose from:
> IBM EtherJet CS89x0... (cs0)
> NE1000 NE2000 3C503... (ed0)
> Fujitsu MB86960A...    (fe0)
> AT&T Starlan 10 EN100, 3C507 NI5210... (ie0)
> Isolan NE2100...       (lnc0)
> SMC/Mhz...             (sn0)
>
> where is xl0 ???  Which should I select

I can answer this, I just installed 4.6 with this exact card. :)

What I did was to leave (and you may not need to, but it is what I did) t=
he=20
ed0 device in the kernel, then later in the install it should ask you if =
you=20
want to install any other network devices. If your card is installed prop=
erly=20
and the system recognizes it, it should be listed there. Select that devi=
ce=20
and continue with the install.

I'm sorry, to much of a novice to answer your second question. :(

Hope this works out for you,

Tim