Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:59:39 +0000
From:      Jason Henson <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nForce3 NIC on 5.3 (i386)

On 01/19/05 02:29:45, Sven Ahtama wrote:
> Hello folks,
>=20
> Anyone here who have managed to get the nForce3 MCP NIC to work with =20
> FreeBSD 5.3 on i386 platform?
>=20
> After several hours of retries and kernel configuration i managed to =20
> get the if_nv.ko successfully loaded. No complaints, no errors, but =20
> also, no nv0 device found. Just like it didn't exist. I also read =20
> that one of the common problems in such cases was the agp driver, =20
> however i'm not even using one. Even more, I tried a kernel run =20
> entirely without agp support.
>=20
> I got the if_nv loaded as module and tried compiled-in as well.
>=20
> I'd really appreciate any pointers, or a conclusive confirmation, =20
> that there is no success yet.
>=20
> Regards,
>=20
> chance.

When you first load the driver you have to reboot or run some scripts =20
by hand.  After the install did you reboot with no other changes and it =20
not work?  IIRC, you need linux loaded as well as miibus.  I made a pr =20
about the nvnet port being out of date and it was updated so the nic =20
would work in 64bit mode.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D71548

So I know atleast it has worked on amd64.