Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 13:48:37 -0600
From:      John Nielsen <john@jnielsen.net>
To:        ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   net.link.ether.ipfw + DHCP

I've been experimenting with ipfw2 rules to filter access based on both I=
P=20
address and MAC address.  I'm using ipfw2 on 4.7-RELEASE, and the kernel=20
has DEFAULT_TO_DENY.  This particular server uses DHCP to obtain an IP=20
address from my cable provider.  I've run into a bit of a catch-22 and=20
wanted to see if any of you have any suggestions (and I also want to veri=
fy=20
that my analysis of the problem is correct).

Basically, it seems that having net.link.ether.ipfw=3D1 in /etc/sysctl.co=
nf=20
will prevent DHCP from working on a DEFAULT_TO_DENY firewall, due to the=20
order of the startup scripts.  dhclient is being run after sysctl.conf is=
=20
processed, but before the firewall script is run.  So even though I have =
an=20
"add allow layer2 not mac-type ip" rule at the beginning of my ruleset,=20
dhclient is blocked by the default deny rule of the firewall.

Setting net.link.ether.ipfw from rc.local is probably an acceptable=20
workarount, but I'd still like to hear if you have any comments or=20
suggestions.

Thanks,

JN