Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:25:01 -0500
From:      jmc <jcagle@gmail.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh ilo question

On 9/12/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, jmc wrote:
>
> > For iLO remcons sessions, your terminal emulator (e.g. PuTTY) should
> have
> > the following settings:
> >
> > Backspace - Generates Control-H
> > Function Keys - VT100+
> > Window Size -  25 ROWS by 80 columns (This is key)
> > Character Set Translation - CP437
> >
> > Please let me know if this helps.  By the way, if your system has iLO-2
> > (beginning in 2006) the REMCONS command no longer works -- you should
> > transition to using VSP (Virtual Serial Port) instead.  The iLO-2 BMC
> now
> > uses a "DVI" like connection to the video controller which means it no
> > longer can "screen-scrape" the text console.  I recommend setting the
> iLO
> > VSP to COM1 to make it easier to use for the FreeBSD console.  (This is
> the
> > default on BladeSystem blades since they don't have a real COM1 port.)
>
> 'k, not 100% certain what this means ... will the remote console work
> through the web interface still?  By VSP, I assume that doesn't mean I
> need to use a terminal server, are there any instructions on how to access
> this remotely?
>
> Thx ...

Hi Marc,

iLO 2 still has the standard remote console web interface (Java applet) and
it is even faster and easier when you use Internet Explorer (some type of
Active/X thing I think).

The remote serial console can be accessed using a web browser, Telnet, or
SSH.  (Telnet is disabled by default since it is not secure, but you can
enable it in the web interface.)  A terminal server is not required.

Here is a web page that shows the differences between the various iLO models
(see the bottom of the page):
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/ilo2/index.html

One really cool feature is "Shared network port".  This means that the iLO
Ethernet traffic can run across the NIC1 link, so that it doesn't require an
additional Ethernet port for each server.  You can configure an iLO VLAN tag
so that the iLO management traffic is kept separate by the ethernet switch.

Here's a link to the manuals for iLO:

http://tinyurl.com/gcbwx

-- John