Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:22:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Fwd: Samba 2.0.5 on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE - very very slow writing to Samba from win98] (fwd)

Ok, here is a problem....
Samba (the newest version) has slowed down on FreeBSD by an order of
magnitude. The cnage that was made was to replace soem read() calls from
sockets to recv() calls, and making use of the MSG_WAITALL flag.
Under alltheother Unix versions, (inc linux) this has resulted in a
smaller number of syscalls. They don't want to have a #ifdef __FreeBSD__
in the sources so they have asked for help in isolating the problem.

Here is a piece of email that details some specifics...

anyone have any ideas?

I looked at the code in soreceive() and it doesn't seem to have changed
for ages, and (to brief inspection) seems to be correct. (as regards to
MSG_WAITALL anyhow).

julian