Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 2002 03:58:29 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "."@babolo.ru
To:        Eric Timme <timothy@voidnet.com>(by way of Eric Timme <timothy@voidnet.com>)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: general questions about patches ports [nethack]

> In an effort to get some experience with ports I've been working in my spare
> time on making a local entry in the tree that lets you apply a variety of
> nethack enhancing, generally accepted patches (namely the hell patch, dump
> patch, new toys, and toughvlad patches) using -D appendations to the initial
> make command.  It builds fine with various patches enabled; however, I had to
> modify the original diffs to get everything to apply it an order independent
> fashion.  Part of this was necessary because I was specifying the files to
> use via PATCHFILES and some .if defined() ... .endif branches in the
> Makefile, and their application order did matter.
>
> Anyhow, I got that sorted out, and have been storing my patchfiles on a
>  remote server and fetching using a PATCH_SITES define, which fetches and
>  applies seamlessly.
>
> That brings me to my questions..
>
> First, for future reference, is there a way, besides naming patchfiles aa ab
> ac etc, to get PATCHFILES, or any similar defines, to apply patches in a user
> specifid particular order?
>
> Second, is there a way to store/bundle optional patches with a port and be
> able to include them in the build or not, at your discretion, so that you
> don't have to fetch them from third party sites?
>
> Third, is there even any interest in something like this, or does
>  conservative BSD philosophy frown on game patches such as these being
>  included in the ports tree, leaving it to the end user to compile from
>  scratch and apply patches by hand if they wish enhancement?
May be it answers part of your questions:

http://free.babolo.ru/patch/ports.Mk.port.mk.patch
introduce ${USERPATCHDIR} which is ~/${PATCHDIR}
where local patches live and apply after system patches.
There my patch tree in http://free.babolo.ru/ports/
which I copy by cvs or wget to any new system I work with.

I do not think that there is need some more
Mk.port.mk support for retrieve local patches,
but I plan to redesign USERPATCHDIR to something
LOCAL_SYSTEM_PATCHDIR in such a way,
that this variable in /etc/make.conf can be used
for any sysadmin in a system.

--
@BABOLO      http://links.ru/