Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 04:06:51 +0200
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: the best window manager

Zach Thompson <hideo@lastamericanempire.com> >Blackbox, AfterStep, and Window Maker are all customizable, fast, and
>small (enough) in my opinion. Though Window Maker isn't the smallest
>of the three , its ease of configuration and flexibility are a good
>trade off. There are some nice config utilities (x11-wm/wmakerconf,
>x11-wm/wmthemeinstall) and dock apps in ports. Though I'm not a huge
>dock-type person, I do like certain things just "there", e.g. time,
>temp, and a menu ;-)

I've been a twm/fvwm fart for many years but recently switched to
using windowmaker; it's true, you don't have to edit a single
blahwmrc by hand.  The config tool that windowmaker comes with (if
you start wmaker, double-click on the lowest icon in the dock or
how it's called will make it pop-up) is excellent.  After a couple
minutes, you have it configured exactly the way you want.  Also,
it's got about just the right features and you can also obviously
customize the shipped "themes" or "styles" through the utility but
since they're all ugly (far too dark and not very ergonomic) you'd
be better off copying one and editing it by hand (you can do it via
the config tool, too, but I think it's rather cumbersome.)  What I
like most about it, of course, is that it never crashed on me and
that it's halfway portable.  What I don't quite like is that it
doesn't work very well on PseudoColor (8-bit) or less displays but
I don't use it on those anyways.

--mkb