Date:      Thu, 02 Jun 2011 08:23:44 +0200
From:      Rainer Hurling <rhurlin@gwdg.de>
To:        anderson@cnpm.embrapa.br
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   shp2pgsql core dumps when using -G and -g together

I am trying to use the converter 'shp2pgsql' from database/postgis
version 1.5.2 to convert an ESRI shapefile into the geography data type
of postgis/postgresql.

It core dumps when using the two options '-G' and '-g' at the same time,
at least on FreeBSD. Option '-G' switches from geometry to geography
data type. With option '-g' I want to set another than the default name
of the geography column.

----------------------
shp2pgsql -G -g geog_newname world.shp
shp2pgsql: (malloc) /usr/src/lib/libc/stdlib/malloc.c:4287: Failed
assertion: "arena != NULL"
Abbruch(core dumped)

This is reproducable with other shapefiles, too. It does not happen, if
'-G' is used without the '-g' option.

It seems there is a problem with memory allocation? As far as I know
this works on other platforms than FreeBSD.

As test data may serve the world shape from
http://www.vdstech.com/mapdata/world.zip

Any help is really appreciated. And please let me know if I can help or
test something.

Rainer Hurling