Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:13:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, John Birrell wrote:

> I'm working on an application that is targeted at users who, based on
> their exposure to a certain commercial OS, expect to be able to point
> and clip their way through life, and to recognise things by little
> pictures. There are a few things that I'd like to add to FreeBSD to
> support this sort of application. The first is to build icon pixmaps
> into each executable program.

I like this idea a great deal.  I've long wanted some way to attach data
to programs, so as to add some continuing state.  This is a first step.
If there was a utility, that would allow a user to replace the default
icon with one of their own choosing (if they care), then that ought to
eliminate any other problems.  If the user complains about the extra
data space, then they could replace the icon with a null value, right?
I don't see a downside.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).