Date:      Fri, 22 May 2009 14:43:37 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Tonix (Antonio Nati) <tonix@interazioni.it>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Avoiding source code on production servers

On 22 May 2009, at 02:06, Tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:

> I'm in the phase of planning my new generation of FreeBSD servers,
> and I would love to make them more easy to upgrade.
> Main problem I have currently is I do not want any source code on
> production server, so freebsd-update is welcome, but... what about
> packages?
> I would use packages, but they are not easy to upgrade, while ports
> can be easy to upgrade, but need to have sources an servers.

I maintain one, non-production, servers whose role is to keep the
source and build the production kernels, userland, and ports.  /usr/
src, /usr/ports, and /usr/obj are setup for NFS access.  The
production servers have empty directories for /usr/src, /usr/obj, and /
usr/ports.  For an upgrade I nfs mount those and do the upgrade.  For
locally developed software, it is maintained and tested on the non-
production server.  When its ready, there is a makefile entry for each
production server that rcps the binary to the production server.  This
also helps in backups because the production servers only need to have
their application data backed up.  All the system/port backups are
done on the non-production server.