Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:39:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: aic7896 SCB timeout - is this a sign of impending doom?

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> The attached messages appeared on one of my servers this afternoon.  Its
> primarily a CVS server but beyond that I can't say what it was doing or how
> busy it was when this happened, as I didn't see the messages until later.
>
> Is this anything to worry about?  AFAICT some command to da4 timed out
> (maybe twice?) and the driver eventually reset the bus to get things going
> again... this has never happened before, and the machine seems perfectly
> fine now.

As mentioned, SCSI timeouts can have multiple causes, most of them not
good.  The thing to watch for is which target the command timed out on.
Command timeouts can come from:

. Bad cabling or termination
. Bad cabling or termination
. Bad cabling or termination (it needs to be said three times)
. Flakey/failing device

If it continues to happen then you should take a look around.  Temperature
wouldn't be a bad thing to check anyway.

> The machine is running 4.8 on an Intel L440GX+ server board.

Good boards. I'm using them as my build farm right now.  600MHz procs
aren't that fast anymore but its a solid machine.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org