Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2006 02:36:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Tim Soderstrom" <tim@timandcorey.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   DMA timeouts with Adapter ASH-1205SA SATA PCI Card

I am trying to jump into the world of FreeBSD and have been having some
nasty problems with some things. The latest of which is the fact that
FreeBSD is noting DMA timeouts with my SATA card, particularly when
performing writes:

ad4: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA48 status=51<READY<DSC,ERROR>
error=10<NID_NOT_FOUND> LBA=273370735
g_vfs_done():ad4s1g[WRITE(offset=115279347712, length=131072)]error = 5
ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA48 retrying (1 retry left) LBA=276000431

These repeat sometimes to the point of FreeBSD going into an emergency
reboot mode, although this has not yet happened since I updated to
6.0-RELEASE-p7. Speaking of, I am confused as to if that is the STABLE
branch (which I want to get on)?

In any case, I am concerned as to whether or not these errors represent a
real problem and what I can go about doing with them. This box is designed
to be a file-server, so I had hoped that it would be as stable as, well,
if not a rock, at least play-dough :)

Regards,

Tim S.