Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:05:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        Mike <unixwordsmith@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System Halted Boot question. NOT A NUBIE QUESTION.

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Mike wrote:

> Well after many, MANY hours of reading on different
> sites and books I still can't find anything regarding
> my problem. I have sent along a 35k photo I have taken
> with my camera because of the interesting responce
> FreeBSD 4.0 boot cd has given me.
>
> I have gotten FBSD4.0 to run on almost everything
> EXCEPT this computer:
>
> Asus K7V MBoard
> viper v770 video board
> ext. 56k modem
> 1.44 FDD
> 15 gig ata 66 hdd(pri master)
> 12x dvd-rom(pri slave)
> empty(sec master)
> cd-writer(sec slave)
> nic card
> SB Live!
>
> I have: Changed drives around, checked over all my
> BIOS settings, drive jumper selections, and wiring.
> Also I made boot disks, and those too do the exact
> same thing.
>
> If you could please explain to me what all these
> numbers mean that would be super!!!

Those numbers are a register dump from BTX, a part of the boot loader.
CS:EIP is the instruction that faulted.  In your case, this is f000:56af,
which points to the system BIOS, which isn't a good thing at all.

I would check and make sure that your motherboard's BIOS is flashed to the
latest revision (it may not support your large hard drive and is zonking
out), and also try booting from a minimal system config (video and floppy
only) to see if you can at least get into sysinstall.

--
Matt Emmerton