Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 20:35:20 +0600
From:      Anton Voronin <anton@urc.ac.ru>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   "write denied, another writer is in"

Hello!

I have OPL3-based soundcard (Genius SoundMaker) and use pcm driver. When a
processes tries to access sound device which is busy with another process
writing to it, (for example, when I'm cat'ing .au file > /dev/audio when
mpg123 is playing an mp3 file) then I get very loud buzzz for a few seconds
and the line "write denied, another writer is in" is printed on the console.
Pcm driver prints it after unsuccessful write() if the flag SND_F_WRITING is
set. It looks OK. But then why the loud dirty noise is produced? Could it be
the driver's fault or is it a hardware problem?

    -anton

P.S. Sometimes cat file.au >/dev/audio gets "stdout: device busy". In this
case all is OK, and there's no any buzz. But more often it succeeds, and the
buzz is produced.
Shouldn't the device be always busy while another process is playing through
it?

--
Anton Voronin                | Ural Regional Center of FREEnet,
anton@urc.ac.ru              | Southern Ural University, Chelyabinsk, Russia