Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 15:38:53 -0600
From:      "Jason" <jason_smethers@bigfoot.com>
To:        <Nazgul@sure.net>, <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: wdc0 not found :(

-----Original Message-----
From: Pavel May <nazgul@sure.net>
To: freebsd-doc@freebsd.org <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Date: Thursday, January 15, 1998 3:57 AM
Subject: wdc0 not found :(

>Hello.
>
>I am using a (shudder) Packard Bell system, but I have installed an SIIG
>ISA IDE controller card as the HD controller. It is running a 2.5 GB HD
>and an IDE CD-ROM. Accordind to win95, the IDE channel 1 is on IRQ 14,
>port 0x01f0 to 0x01f7, IDE2 is on IRQ15 port 0x0170 to 0x0177 and port
>0x0376 to 0x0376.
>
>the machine boots into command mode just fine, and the values in
>UserConfigure are the same as what Win95 uses, yet when the ISA bus is
>scanned, the wdc0 is not found (the wdc1 is found, at IRC15, IO 0x0170,
>with what looks to me the proper parameters for the cd-rom)...
>
>needless to say, I cannot continue instlling FreeBSD :(
>
>in short: heeeeeelp :)
>
>thanks
>
> Pavel May

This realy dosn't belong in doc.

I've had this problem before. Check your hard drive and make shure it is
*correctly* jumpered for master, slave, or single. It may boot up into
windows when its incorrectly jumpered as master with a slave when it has non
or master without a slave when there is one, but freebsd is more picky.

-Jason-