Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 05:54:49 -0500
From:      MALCOLM BOFF <Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com>
To:        doug <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make and gnu make

Doug it has taken me a little research in order to get
back to you, however I can assure you that the O'Reilly
reference DOES relate to the BSD distribution of 'make'.

There is a BSD command 'pmake' which has been introduced
as a variant (but which does not replace the original
'make'). This variant is supposed to support advanced
features that 'make' does not support in it's spec.
For example the ability to utilise the C format '+='
to enable the concatenation to a defined variable, also
the ability to include other files. However it is not
compatible to the original 'make' nor does it support
SCCS.

I believe that what FreeBSD calls make is either 'pmake'
or a modified version of it.

It concerns me as an applications developer that
something as important as 'make' is effectively
non-conformant with the major systems like 'AIX',
'Solaris', 'HPUX' etc which use the non-variant 'make'

Malcolm G. Boff
Sylmex Ltd.