Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 13:24:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stuart Krivis <stuart@apk.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > All I am saying is that FreeBSD isn't really on the mainstream's mind.  I
>
> But we know all that already and you're not really adding anything
> useful to this conversation in pointing that out.  What we need
> here are:
>
> 1. Concrete examples of what can be done to improve the situation.
> 2. Actual attempts to do so.

Is there a central listing of FreeBSD user's groups? Sometimes grassroots
support is the best. Many Linux groups have "install parties" where the
more knowledgable users help people install Linux for the first time. You
just bring your machine in and they will install Linux on it.

I would like to see a "Newbie Guide." It might contain some install tips
(particularly on network setup) and info on how to run Linux programs.
PPP setup info is nice too.

I hate to look at it like this, but I would only switch if I could readily
run my Linux programs. (And you've heard this from me before.)
Compatibility is not a good way to "sell" an OS (witness OS/2), but it's a
good way to get your foot in the door.

I admire things about FreeBSD, but I could never get some things to work -
like the Linux compatibility. I haven't bitched about it too much. I
figure that someday I will have a spare machine that I can put FreeBSd on
and just play with it until it works. :-)

--

Stuart Krivis    stuart@krivis.com