Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 2015 16:27:27 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Roger_Pau_Monn=c3=a9?= <royger@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD XEN <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: live migration added to Xen 4.5 packages in ports

Hello,

I've just added patches that enable live migration, save and restore
support to the Xen packages in ports:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=398918

This enables live migration and save/restore of HVM and PV guests from a
FreeBSD/Xen PVH Dom0. Remember that in order to use live migration
between hosts the hard drive of the guest must be shared (eg: NFS).

A couple of notes below on it's usage:

I'm not a sysadmin, but save and restore can be used in conjunction with
ZFS snapshots in order to perform checkpoints of guests:

# xl save -p <domain> domain.checkpoint1
# zfs snapshot <path/to/zvol>@checkpoint1
# xl unpause <domain>

This will result in a save file and a ZFS snapshot that can easily be
used to restore the VM to a previous known state.

It should also be possible to migrate guests between a Linux and a
FreeBSD Dom0 (provided there's a common shared disk storage), but I have
not tested it.

NB: if you don't have two hosts but still want to test it, you can do it
locally:

# xl migrate <domain> localhost

Roger.