Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 95 11:58:19 CDT
From:      englehar@src.honeywell.com (Matt Englehart)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   file transfer over serial port locks up pc

Hello, I'm running the April snapshot of 2.0 on a pc that is hooked up to a
network with the 3com 509b board.  When I attempt to do a file transfer
over the serial port, the machine hangs.  Sometimes I get a warning: messages
saying the silo buffer is overflowwing (I have a UART16550A).  I am
connceting with a 28800 modem, and between the pc and the modem I have
tried 38400 and 115200.  This happens when I try transfering a file using
any of the following applications:

1. netscape over ppp
2. ftp over ppp
3. rz/sz
4. tupload over term (the term program, originally written for Linux)

It seems as though things have gotten worse now that I've added the
ethernet interface.  It used to rarely hang.  Now it does within an instant
of attempting file transfer.

I'm thinking of trying out 2.0.5R.  Do you have enough of a clue as to what
the problem might be to say that it might be eliminated in 2.0.5R?

Thanks,

Matt Englehart