Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 95 17:59 EST
From:      Mitchell Ackerman <0006619934@mcimail.com>
To:        BSD questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   CDROM problems

I have just got through installing FreeBSD on my PC.  I encountered some
problems, on of the worst with the CDROM.  It keeps on giving me checksum
errors, but if I retry it sometimes it will work.  Additionally I keep getting
timeout messages, at which point it retries automatically, and so far it has
always managed to finish what it is doing (e.g., installing something).

Is there anything to be done about these checksum & timeout errors?  I am
running on a Comtrade 486DX2/66, with a DTC3290ASE EISA SCSI
controller.  The CDROM is a mitsumi FX001 using the mitsumi interface card
(non-scsi)

I am wondering whether I/O conflicts are a source of my problem (with timeouts
and checksum errors on my CD).  I am getting the following errors on bootup:

ep0 not probed due to I/O address conflict with mcd0 at 0x300
le0 not probed ...
ze0 not probed ...
ed1 not found at 0x300

mcd0 is my mitsumi CDROM at address 0x300 - 0x303, irq 11, drq 5.

what are ep0, le0, ze0?  Can I remove these?

I installed FreeBSD 2.0 from Walnut Creek, dated Jan 95.

Mitchell.