Date:        Sat, 2 Dec 2000 14:41:05 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "unbuffered" ?

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 10:42:52PM +1100, Sue Blake wrote:
> I've seen this sort of thing in several man pages:
>
> cat(1)
>      -u      The -u option guarantees that the output is unbuffered.
> tr(1)
>      -u      The -u option guarantees that any output is unbuffered.
> tee(1)
> ... The output is unbuffered.
>

> What does unbuffered mean, and how is it useful to know or manipulate that?

Unbuffered means it is not buffered. :-)
Alright, so what is buffered output I hear you ask.

When output is buffered it means the program saves up several bytes before
writing all of them. The reason for this is that it is much more efficient
to write 100 bytes at once than doing 100 calls each of which only writes
one byte.
Sometimes, especially when displaying text on the screen, you want programs
to write stuff immediately instead of waiting for more output.
When writing to a normal disk file on the other hand you usually want
buffered output.

Basically unbuffered output gives better interactive performance but has
higher overhead.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson