Date:      Thu, 18 May 2023 12:32:59 +0200
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the pinephone : considerations

On Thu, 18 May 2023 12:08:04 +0200
Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> some days ago on the FreeBSD forum someone posted this tutorial:
>
> https://research.exoticsilicon.com/series/pinephone_openbsd/part_1
>
> A lot of work has been done to port NetBSD on the pinephone, even if
> the battery will not work as stated. I would like to know if this
> tutorial can be taken as a solid base to port FreeBSD instead of
> NetBSD. In other words, is FreeBSD so different from NetBSD that the
> whole procedure can't be useful at all or some part of it can be
> re-adapted easily? How much efforts and work is needed to adapt it?

Hi,

at a glance, this tutorial is worth reading as it contains good
overview of the whole process. The basics are there. Note it is using
*OpenBSD*, not *NetBSD* as you wrote, but this is just oversight I
think. For FreeBSD, you should probably try first running from microSD
card, not installing to internal eMMC (SD card image for arm64/aarch64
architecture should be a good start, needs just adding correct U-Boot
binary).

Regards,
Milan