Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 1995 12:15:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robin Cutshaw <robin@intercore.com>
To:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, jkh@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Paul Richards: sysconfig routed setting

> <<On Tue, 27 Jun 1995 22:52:17 -0700 (PDT), "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com> said:
>
> > ``Should'' and ``probably'' are not very convincing words,
>
> Let me word this more strongly:
>
> 	A machine which is not directly involved in forwarding packets
> 	has no business running a routing process, PERIOD.  Routing
> 	processes run on routers and routers only.

I'm not sure that I agree with this.  One of the purposes of routed -q
is to allow a host to make an intelligent decision as to where to
send an originated packet.  I've got several routers on a network and
several routers one or two networks deep so I prefer to send packets
(that my host originates) to the appropriate router.  You could
argue that I should use a default and suffer from either slower
throughput or redirects but I would argue that this is inadequate.

robin