Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:37:09 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1018478229.13f963@mired.org>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com
Cc:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>
Subject:   Re: hub.freebsd.org spam policy

In <20020405102702321.AAA393@empty1.ekahuna.com@pc02.ekahuna.com>, Philip J. Koenig <pjklist@ekahuna.com> typed:
> On 5 Apr 2002, at 11:10, Ceri boldly uttered:
> > To clarify the situation :
> >     To subscribe to a list requires confirmation.
> >     To post to a list does not, nor do you need to be subscribed.
> > I don't remember a time when this was any different (but then I've only
> > been subscribed for 18 months or so).
> Ah.. I overlooked an "assymetrical" scenario.
>
> I have to say, I don't think I can ever recall a single email list
> outside of these that had such a setup - where it required a
> subscription to read but allowed anyone to post.  It's really quite
> bizarre to me - how are these people supposed to read the responses
> to their questions if they don't subscribe??

Most of the lists I'm on - even discounting the freebsd one - do
that. On the other hand, most of them have also moved from being
completely open to requiring confirmation to subscribe because of the
problem of malicious subscriptions.

A few have recently moved from that to an intermediate position, which
I really like. All subscribers can post. If you aren't a subscriber,
you have to confirm that the post isn't spam before it's accepted. I'd
love to see freebsd move to such a system for everything but -questions.

> I notice a lot of people are cc'ing the original poster in their
> courtesy that I'd hate to have to rely on if I had a problem I was
> trying to solve.

Freebsd-questions is, and always will be, an unusual mail list.

> I stand by my contention that allowing anyone to post is just an
> invitation to spamming the list. (or an invitation to draconian anti-
> spam filters to mitigate the spam, with the result that innocent
> users get their traffic bounced)

In that case, there are a lot of lists that invite anyone to spam the
list. But they don't get as much spam as the freebsd lists.

	<mike