Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 21:51:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

On 24-Jul-99 Greg Lehey wrote:
> That's inadequate for people coming from Linux.  We know roughly what
> they want; why not take the needles out of the haystack?
>
> For the rest of you: in my message to Jordan, I specifically mentioned
> bash and colorls.  What other items might interest a Linuxhead?

Right now there's a group on freebsd-doc who are putting together a
book/tutorial on coming from Linux to FreeBSD.  I think that this stuff should
go there and not in /stand/sysinstall.  Do you also want to have it install
qvwm or KDE if you are coming from '95 or put in aliases for del, dir, and copy
if you are coming from DOS?   These are the types of customizations that users
need to learn how to do.  If we hold their hand too much then they won't have
to learn how to customize things.  I don't think that is the kind of userbase
we won't right now.

> Greg

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/