Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:35:58 +0100
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        Adam Bozanich <abozan01@ccsf.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gaim error

--Uwl7UQhJk99r8jnw

> Fatal error 'Spinlock called when not threaded.' at line 83 in file /mnt/s10/BSD/usr_src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_spinlock.c (errno = 0)

Hmm, as I thought, there's something wrong with your threads.
Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with FreeBSD 5 (yet ;-), but the
gnome@freebsd.org mailing list will certainly assist you to fix it.

Unless you find a different solution, I'd suggest that you ask you
question there again (together with all the information you gave me).

A good idea is also to build a debugging version of gaim and provide a
backtrace:

/etc/make.conf:
CFLAGS=-O -pipe -g
STRIP=

The reinstall gaim, and once it crashes, either gather a backtrace with
bugbuddy (it should be started automatically if it's installed), or with
gdb:

gdb gaim gaim.core (the enter 'bt' at the gdb prompt).

> I haven't had time to look into Michael's suggestions, maybe I'll give it
> a go tonight.

I generally dislike the idea of manually building things that are in the
ports collection, but don't feel discouraged to do same investigations
;-)
 - you lose the control about your installed software
 - if the problem is in the ports collection, others will have the same
   problem, so it's better to fix it globally

Cheers,
 Simon

--Uwl7UQhJk99r8jnw

--Uwl7UQhJk99r8jnw--