Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:29:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Mike Heffner <spock@techfour.net>, FreeBSD-audit <FreeBSD-audit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: use mkstemp(3) for sort

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> For something like this, I sometimes wonder if it would be better
> to have the program ('sort', in this case) to create a randomly-
> named directory in /tmp, make sure that directory is owned by the
> right user and is only readable by the user, and then create all
> if it's temporary files inside of that directory.

This sounds like a better solution than making an invasive change which
will have to be re-merged if we upgrade the code (assuming it's not taken
up by the vendor).

i.e. create the private directory securely with mkdtemp, and sort can be
as insecure as it wants within it :-)

Kris

----
"How many roads must a man walk down, before you call him a man?"
"Eight!"
"That was a rhetorical question!"
"Oh..then, seven!" -- Homer Simpson