Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 14:56:23 -0700
From:      "Robert L Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Per Hjeltman" <per_hjeltman@hotmail.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Annoying messages

Be warned that by doing this you will, at some time, miss some important
information.

That being said, to stop the "annoying" sprinkles of information to the
root logins.

In /etc/syslog.conf comment out the lines below.

*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
*.err                                           root
*.notice;news.err                               root
*.alert                                         root

By all means check out the man page.  (man 5 syslog.conf)

Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
06/15/2001 07:27 AM