Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 00:39:15 +0200 (EET)
From:      Vladimir Kushnir <kushn@mail.kar.net>
To:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bmake/contrib framework for egcs

Thanks, I'll try, but what I mean is egcs compiled binaries are bigger
even for C, not C++, and as if memory serves -Os is -O2 subset. So
probably I'll just have to accept this increase in binaries size :-(. Ah
well, it ain't all that much, anyway.

Oh, incidentally, I forgot to add that (when compiling libstdc++ with new
c++ for the first time, it can't find file exception. So perhaps in
gnu/lib/libstdc++/Makefile this part of CFLAGS shoild be
-I${EGCSDIR}/gcc/cp/inc rather than -I${EGCSDIR}/gcc/cp/inc/exception
(after all, ${EGCSDIR}/gcc/cp/inc/exception is a file).

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Vladimir Kushnir wrote:
>
> > BTW, binaries compiled with egcc are still larger than with stock gcc. Is
> > there a way to shrink them (beyond what's possible with -O optimisation)?
>
> Try -Os, -fno-exceptions* -fno-rtti* or any combo of the above.
>
> * Don't do this with libraries, just in case you've got any programs that
> use exceptions or rtti.  Obviously this won't work with programs that use
> rtti and/or exceptions.
>
> - alex

Regards,
Vladimir