Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 08:39:13 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting around conflicts for a driver w/out base address

>>>id_alive is the driver-alive flag corrupted to hold the i/o size.  It isn't
>>>possible to set it at config time.  Actually, we need a list of i/o port
>>>ranges because some drivers use scattered ports.
>
>>Like the S3 chips that step on COM4?  Talk about gratuitous conflicts...
>
>I was thinking more of video cards using a lot of ports that aren't
>mentioned in the config, and console drivers accessing a lot of ports
>that aren't mentioned in the config: the keyboard port whose base is
>mentioned in the config and whose ranges are closer to [0x60,0x60]
>and [0x64,0x64] than the [0x60,0x6f] claimed by the driver; the PPI
>at 0x61 which is claimed by the driver but which is also used by
>several other drivers without claims to it; and the video ports
>without claiming them.  It should be possible to support multiple
>monitors although the video port ranges overlap.  E.g., one display
>driver could claim the color ports only and another could claim the
>mono ports only.  This could happen fairly automatically if the
>display drivers were careful not to touch claimed ports.  Currently
>they have no way to DTRT.  First, they have to probe both the mono
>iand color ports because config's port info is limited to giving one
>port which is used to specify the keyboard port; second because there
>is no mechanism for drivers to check what other drivers have claimed.

It sounds like you want some sort of sorted linked list of port
addresses and ranges hanging off the isa_device structure.  If this
kind of what you're thinking and there aren't enough horses to
implement it, then I'll volunteer to help out.

As to config, someone else would probably have to do that.  I'm not
sure I understand the rules and yacc well enough to hack config.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org