Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:30:39 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MFS vs softupdates

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> On a laptop with 64 megs of RAM, what makes more sense for performance
> improvements: softupdates or linking swap to a MFS ramdisk?

The MFS ramdisk is self defeating. You are taking away memory to use
as swap. So when you run out of memory, you swap to memory you could
have been using and not have to swap. It simply doesn't make any sense
to do that. If your system panics, you are in trouble.

I did a number of benchmarks on Cray XM/P's and the writing behind of
data was 50% of the throughput. It was far more important to get data
that you needed to read than it was to write something immediately to
the HD. That works up to the point you crash and then, you still have
data in memory. Sooner or later, I will start running softupdates but
I haven't yet. I'm not doing anything disk intensive.

Kent

> -jm

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html