Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:26:27 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Geom, MBR, labels, and usb sticks

On 07/19/12 20:50, Warren Block wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012, Dave Hayes wrote:
>> and still the labels do not show up.
>
> They won't show in gpart because they are filesystem labels.  They will
> show in 'tunefs -p' or 'file -s'.

Thank you for that. I was able to verify that tunefs -p works.

>> I really do want to be able to mount /dev/ufs/foo as the root device,
>> but as I understand things if gpart doesn't show the label then the
>> glabel subsystem won't set up the proper device file.
>>
>> What gives here? Am I missing something important?
>
> There is more than one type of label.  glabel(8) has a list that
> includes the device directory where the label appears.

Right. However if the label is not showing up in /dev/ufs/<label>
what are my debugging options?
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

Nobody suffers the pain of birth or the anguish of loving a
child in order for presidents to make wars, for governments
to feed on the substance of their people, for insurance
companies to cheat the young and rob the old.
                                              -- Lewis Lapham