Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:19:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Ronan Lucio <ronan@melim.com.br>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: flood attacks

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Ronan Lucio wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Some times I=B4m having troubles with somebody attacking
> my network by RST flood
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. My FreeBSD-4.3 only show the message
>     Limiting closed port RST response from 1800 to 200 packets per second=
=2E
>     But, it don=B4t show the source IP of attack. I already looked at
>     /var/log/messages, security and ipfw files and I saw nothing about th=
is.
>     Does anybody knows what option should I configure to FreeBSD show
>     me such IP?

When it says "Limiting closed port RST response", what this means is that
*your* response is being limited.  They could be throwing almost any type
of packet at you.  In order to detect what's happening, you could install
a network IDS such as snort, or take captures with tcpdump.

Note that if the attack is spoofed, tracing it backs to its source may be
a lot of effort, and not worth it in this case.  Others on this list can
probably tell you more info about how to go about this.

Mike "Silby" Silbersacks