Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 2020 20:41:07 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Don Wilde <dwilde1@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD (GhostBSD) Question?

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 09:45:08 -0700, Don Wilde wrote:
> I don't see that any of these GUI installers help a whole bunch for what
> I want. I can see their usefulness for those who come from the Doze or
> Mac -- or even Ubuntu -- worlds, but that's not where I want to go. I'll
> just do it the old-fashioned way because I want to know what's getting
> installed.

The problem with desktop environments, not limited to MATE,
or Xfce, or Lxde, is that they come with their equivalent
of "accessories" - little programs that you might or might
not need. If you wish to avoid this, install a graphical
file manager and a window manager, but keep in mind that
this is _not_ a desktop environment anymore!

I tend to do this because I wish to have control over what
is being installed, and I also use software from any "GUI
lands" which are part of the Linux and UNIX experience:
KDE programs, Gtk programs, and I don't care about "visual
consistency" - it has been gone, it no longer exists, not
even on the Mac (and "Windows" has said goodbye to it
long time ago). So I only need to required libraries, but
not the stuff a full desktop would include.

For example, I have a "service system" that runs FreeBSD
with the IceWM window manager (theme "metal2"), plus the
program wbar (Warlock bar), and a Mac background image.
It looks very expensive, and I tend to start all the
different Gtk / Qt / ... programs via terminal, except
for those already present in wbar (typical stuff like
Firefox, an audio mixer, WiFi manager, LibreOffice and
so on).

Most desktop environments have moved to "let's include
everything, maybe someone needs it, and when it's not
there they'll complain" approach. "Old-fashioned" desktops
like Mate or Cinnamon have quite good control over what
additional parts to install, Gnome 3, in my opinion, does
not fit: even though you can configure a lot, it feels
like you have to fight the system to make it do what you
want, instead a system supporting your workflow.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany