Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:51:23 -0400
From:      Aaron Weeden <amweeden.earlham@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   CARP across two jails on one host?

My box is running FreeBSD version 8.1-PRERELEASE.  I've created two
jails and want them to be able to share an IP address via CARP.  As I
understand it, each host must use the same VHID and IP address on its
carp interface in order to work as a failover for the other hosts.
I'm also under the impression that jails cannot create interfaces, as
my attempt to run 'ifconfig carp0 create' within a jail returned the
error 'ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: Operation not permitted'.  I'm
wondering, then, if it's possible to use CARP for two jails on one
host, since attempting to create two carp interfaces with the same
vhid on the parent produces the error 'ifconfig: SIOCSVH: File
exists'.  Does anyone here have experience running CARP in jails?

Thank you,
Aaron Weeden