Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 12:12:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: "Cookbook" for security.

> <<On Wed, 05 Apr 1995 03:35:23 -0700, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com> said:
>
> > It seems to me that this would serve as a very valuable security aid
> > and of use in creating the overall security tool from hell that I'd
> > like to see on FreeBSD someday! :-)
>
> One of the results of `make distribution' should be to `cd
> /where/ever; mtree <insert_flags_here> >
> /somewhere/else/distname.mtree'.

Yes, and a lot of the work I put into mtree for the -c option was
aimed at just this.  Infact at one time /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.*
where the output of a series of mtree commands I ran and then
commited the resulting files.

I still run these mtree commands when doing my regression tests of
finding out what is working correctly with ``make DESTDIR=foo install''.

For creating new versions of /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.* files I use:

mtree -c -d -i -n -x -kuname,gname,mode -p /usr >/tmp/BSD.usr.dist

These still require some hand edits for the header, and now that include
has been moved out that requires a hand edit.

To create a really good file for checking your system use something
like:

mtree -c -i -n -kuname,gname,mode,size,link,time,md5digest \
	-p / >/tmp/BSD.full.dist