Date:      Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:05:51 -0500
From:      Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Repost: DHCP failing with WiFi after 6.0 upgrade

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 09:10:27PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 23:50:21 -0500
> > From: Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
> >
> > I expect I'm about to expose my cluelessness, but even after getting
> > the lease--which, obviously, required going over the WAP to my router--
> > I still can't connect anywhere. My wi0 ifconfig looks like:

[...]

> > after getting my DHCP lease. But I am unable to ping the router, or
> > the WAP, or run any traceroutes, or anything else over the network.
> > GNOME's "Connection Properties" applet shows packets received but
> > nothing sent, FWIW. I have no problem using the Ethernet interface.
>
> This is most likely the default route. DHCP will set it, but it will
> not replace a default that is already there if it was not set by
> dhclient. .
>
> Try either 'router delete default' or 'route flush' before running
> dhclient. If you already have dhclient running, I'd 'killall dhclient'
> and then restart it.

Many thanks. Though when I first tried this it didn't work, I took a
break to clean out my kernel (remove IPv6, and support for dozens of
things I don't have and will never use), and after recompiling, things
were up and running perfectly.

I now recall having had this problem previously, and remember that
flushing the routing table was what fixed it. I don't know why I
couldn't remember this when it mattered.

Thanks for your help.

Jesse Sheidlower