Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 98 14:17:31 -0500
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <lists@tar.com>
To:        "Garrett Wollman" <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Threads across processors

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:10:12 -0400 (EDT), Garrett Wollman wrote:

>I've watched Cyclone hit 150,000 syscalls a SECOND when it's not doing
>much of anything.  It's impressive that it can do that, but I'd like
>to have some CPU left over for useful work...  Most of those system
>calls were to sigprocmask() to protect some critical section from the
>signals that drive the thred scheduler.

I was under the impression that signal handling in threads was changed
last April to eliminate the sigprocmask calls in the scheduler?

>From uthread_kern.c,v:

"1.10
 log
 @Change signal model to match POSIX (i.e. one set of signal handlers
 for the process, not a separate set for each thread). By default, the
 process now only has signal handlers installed for SIGVTALRM, SIGINFO
 and SIGCHLD. The thread kernel signal handler is installed for other
 signals on demand. This means that SIG_IGN and SIG_DFL processing is now
 left to the kernel, not the thread kernel.

 Change the signal dispatch to no longer use a signal thread, and
 call the signal handler using the stack of the thread that has the
 signal pending.

 Change the atomic lock method to use test-and-set asm code with
 a yield if blocked. This introduces separate locks for each type
 of object instead of blocking signals to prevent a context
 switch. It was this blocking of signals that caused the performance
 degradation the people have noted.

 This is a *big* change!"