Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:50:42 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        fad@o-o.org
Subject:   Re: added chroot to /usr/bin/login

I like it! However, I guess my concern would be that assigning a fixed
number (in this case, 80) to the group that gets chrooted might not
be the best way to go. Groups in FreeBSD can contain only a limited
number of users, so this places a limit on the usefulness of the
feature. And if group 80 is already in use, it could require major
modifications to the file system to avoid problems.

How about something like the /etc/ftpchroot file, where one can list
both users and groups that are chrooted? Or the /etc/skey.access
file, which lets you use the tty, IP address, group membership,
and/or the individual user ID as criteria? (The latter may be overkill
for this situation.) You could probably snag the code right out of
ftpd to implement an etc/loginchroot file. Or it could be made into
a library which ftpd, login, and other programs could share.

--Brett