Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:40:53 +0400
From:      Mike Matsnev <mike@po.cs.msu.su>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: screen refresh rate

> I applied the patch below to one of my systems here (with a Radeon
> all-in-wonder card and a generic 19" monitor) and it works fine.  At least,
> I assume it's working (I'm not as sensitive to refresh rates in console mode
> as some).  There weren't any errors, anyway.  vidcontrol.c has been cleaned
> up a bit since the patch at the URL above was produced, so I had to modify
> that part of the patch to accomodate for the changes.  According to the
> webpage, the default mode is supposed to change to 100x37, but I didn't see
> a change in that regard (and in fact couldn't change to that mode).  Anyway,
> here's what I used.  Once again, use at your own risk.
This is my old patch to change the refresh rate of VESA_800x600 mode. It works
by setting 1024x768 vesa mode to get the higher dot clock and changes back
the display size parameters to those of 800x600, so we end up with a 800x600
mode with higher refresh rate. This is more a hack than a real solution, and
a proper splxxx() call is needed around crtc programming code to be safe.
Also the vidcontrol part is now irrelevant, as the dimensions can be
specified as arguments to vidcontrol.

/Mike